[Pw_forum] [pw_forum] SCF calculation with external magnetic field

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Mon Oct 23 18:36:14 CEST 2017

Dear Maria,

if indeed you want to apply an external magnetic field, that is not
possible (in most codes - see the paper by Wei Cai and Giulia Galli
PRL 2005 or so on how this could be done).

Codes can calculate the Berry phase magnetization, or can apply
a magnetic dipole, and you might use these tools for your goals,
but you can't flat out apply it (due to PBCs, and the fact that you
cannot use an approach that mirrors the electric enthalpy (Souza
and Vanderbilt, Umari and Pasquarello, both in PRL 2001)).

Last - the suggestion of imposing a total magnetization can be used to
force the solution in a magnetic system to have a desired total
magnetization, but that's not imposing a magnetic field.

				nicola