[Pw_forum] convergence problem in scf calculation in rare earth oxide Sm2O3

Thomas Brumme thomas.brumme at uni-leipzig.de
Thu Nov 30 13:06:16 CET 2017

Dear Mohammed,

it's hard to give a general advice also because I didn't do many
calculation with rare earth elements. Just checking the headers of the
pseudos from the vlab side it seems both pseudos (LDA and GGA) have the
same states in valence (l_max=3, number_of_wfc=number_of_proj=8). Did
you try what they suggest on their side, i.e.:

"In some cases, defining orbital occupations (starting_ns_eigenvalue tag
in Quantum ESPRESSO) is essential in order to converge calculations."

Maybe this can help to achieve convergence!? Otherwise, it might also
help to ask them... Or try using the PAW pseudos from the pslibrary
without the f-states, e.g., Sm.pbe-spdn-kjpaw_psl.1.0.0.UPF (or the
ultrasoft one: Sm.pbe-spdn-rrkjus_psl.1.0.0.UPF).

And, of course, try what Karim and Ari said:
- increase ecutrho
- maybe ferromagnetic starting guess is wrong and you have to go for
anti-ferromagnetic

Regards

Thomas

email: thomas.brumme at uni-leipzig.de