[Pw_forum] Calculation of Helmholtz free energy at a finite temperature

Krishnendu Mukherjee krishnendu.mukherjee789 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 11:55:02 CET 2017

Dear Dr. Lorenzo Paulatto,

 Thank you for your reply regarding how to find out the value for 'E(a)'
that is the ground state energy or energy of static lattice as a function
of cell parameters.

Today I have a question regarding calculation of Helmholtz free energy at a
finite temperature.

 I was going through an article titled, "Ab initio study of the
thermodynamic properties of nonmagnetic elementary fcc metals:
Exchange-correlation-related error bars and chemical trends", in Physical
Review B 76, 024309 (2007), authored by Naugebauer et al. In their method
of calculation of Helmholtz free energy there are two terms: Electronic
free energy and vibrational free energy. The electronic free energy is
composed of total energy E-total(V) at absolute temperature T=0 and a
remaining part F-el (V,T) with a 'linear dependence on V most suitable:'

F-el(V,T) = a (T) + b (T) V

Now, in Physical Review B 71, 205214 (2005) , Marzari et al. has mentioned
in Equation 7,
 Helmholtz free energy F(a, T)=E(a) + Fvib(T)
where, 'a' is geometrical degrees of freedom, 'T' is temperature, 'Fvib' is
vibrational free energy, and 'E(a)' is the ground state energy or energy of
static lattice as a function of cell parameters.

So, my question is whether the term F-el(V,T) is neglected in the Quantum
Espresso formulation of Helmholtz free energy ? In the methodology reported
by Neugebauer et al. in the above mentioned PRB (2007) article, in section
IIIA, it is mentioned that the electronic free energy was calculated using
the finite temperature formulation of DFT by Mermin. So, my other question
would be if the finite temperature formulation of DFT is included in
calculating the Helmholtz free energy in Quantum Espresso.

I should admit that as a beginner I am unable to differentiate the
methodology of quantifying vibrational free energy in the two above
mentioned publications. May be the temperature effect on electron free
energy is included in the vibrational energy formulation of QE as mentioned
in the paper of Marzari et al. (PRB 71, 205214 (2005)).

I hope I am able to explain my question.

Thanking you,
Yours sincerely,
Krishnendu

Message: 10