[Pw_forum] projwfc partially occupied levels above Fermi level

Warren Pickett wepickett at ucdavis.edu
Thu Nov 23 17:55:24 CET 2017

Chris,

If you look at any PDOS for a d atom octahedrally coordinated with oxygen,
you will see e_g DOS mixed in the (filled) oxygen band DOS. e_g orbitals
point at the oxygen and couple strongly with px,py,pz. Most of the e_g
weight is pushed up above the crystal field gap, but a substantial part is
mixed in with oxygen -- this is actually due to antibonding coupling. So it
should be recognized that the weight (and charge) is there, but otherwise
ignore it as a minor complication. And related: don't take "atomic" charges
from DFT codes too seriously. That said, I do look at them a lot.

Warren

Warren E. Pickett
Distinguished Professor of Physics
Department of Physics