[Pw_forum] Physical meaning of two imaginary phonon frequencies at NEB saddle point and Transition State Theory

JAY Antoine Antoine.JAY at isae-supaero.fr
Tue Nov 14 08:24:50 CET 2017

Dear Pascal, Dear Stefano, dear all

In a symetric system where two reactions A1->B1 and A2->B2 go trough the same saddle point, following the eigen vector responssible in each NEB is quite easy.
For example in NEB 1, here I plot the number of "negative" frequencies as a function of the path/15 steps
1      0      state A1
2      0
3      0
4      -1   inflexion point on the E({Ri}) curve
5      -1  This "negative" frequency w1 with eigen vector V1 is the one responsible of the transition A1->B1
6      -1
7     -2    here appear the frequency w2 responsible of the transition A2->B2
8     -2    saddle point that is a 2 dimension saddle in a 3Nat dimension space.
9     -2
10   -1
11   -1
12   -1  inflexion point on the E({Ri}) curve
13    0
14    0
15    0   state B1

the same for NEB2 by exchanging w1 and w2.
The two paths are separeted by high energy barriers that is always higher than the DeltaE of the saddle point except at the saddle point where this barrier is null.
Not that in this example I give 4 potential wells link together through the same saddle point (the reaction A1->A2 is also possible),
but it is mathematically possible to have even more potential wells as we are in a 3Nat dimension space.

For Stefano, the state 8 mathematically exists and is physically due to a high symmetry point, so I do not see why I should look for another saddle point.
NEB raffinement is un precise in this "plateau region".

For Pascal, following eigen vector V1 from the saddle point give me B1 (or A1 as a function of the sign of the imposed displacement) and following V2 give me B2 (or A2),
but the problem is to know the transition rate from the Delta E and the omega_i, I already know which eigen vector correspond to which path...

Antoine Jay