[Pw_forum] Computing zero point energies for adsorbates

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Wed May 24 21:24:51 CEST 2017

1) try with a small system (one molecule, CO or H20) on
some inexpensive metal (e.g. Al) - 3 layers, small surface
cell

2) calculate phonons as you do with QE, following some tutorials

3) compare with what you get by moving the molecular atoms by hand,
and diagonalizing that sub-dynamical matrix

4) try with and without a vdW functional

5) look at Ismaila's 2007 JACS

			nicola