[Pw_forum] bader population and pp.x nfile tool arge

Alberto Otero de la Roza alberto at carbono.quimica.uniovi.es
Tue May 23 10:32:23 CEST 2017

Hi Aldo,

The critic2 program can help you with this by calculating a core
contribution using its internal density tables:

https://github.com/aoterodelaroza/critic2

If in your system you have, say, C, H, O, and N, and the pseudos
represent the usual number of electrons, you can do:

crystal bleh.scf.out
zpsp c 4 h 1 n 5 o 6
load as core 100 100 100 id rhocore
cube grid field rhocore file core.cube

This writes a cube file ("core.cube") with 100 points in each
direction, zero core electrons on the H, 2 on the carbon, etc. You can
also load the pseudo-valence electron density and add the core
contribution, or do the Bader analysis with a few more commands. This:

crystal rho.cube
load rho.cube core id rho
zpsp h 1 c 4 n 5 o 6
cube grid file rho_with_core.cube field rho

writes a cube file containing the density in rho.cube plus the core
contribution mentioned above. And this:

crystal rho.cube
load rho_with_core.cube
load rho.cube id rhoval
integrable rhoval
yt

does the Bader integration of the valence pseudo-density in the basins
of the poor man's all-electron density you just calculated. As you
say, using PAW pseudos and reconstructing the all-electron density
would be the way to go, but this approach should give you a reasonable
approximation to the Bader charges if you can't follow that route.

Best,

Alberto

--
Dr. Alberto Otero de la Roza