[Pw_forum] Acoustic sum rule in 2D surfaces

Charlie Ruffman charlie.ruffman at postgrad.otago.ac.nz
Sat May 20 02:34:03 CEST 2017

Hi all,

My group has recently begun using QE to simulate the Raman spectra of 2D bulk MoS2 surfaces. The surface is periodic in the x and y direction.

We typically calculate at least one imaginary mode of vibration (at ~ 34 cm-1), and were wondering if it was valid to apply a "crystal" acoustic sum rule, which removes the imaginary frequency. Also, does anyone have insight into whether we should be applying a different type of acoustic sum rule than crystal (eg. one-dim or zero-dim)?

Thanks for your time,

Charlie Ruffman

University of Otago,

New Zealand