[Pw_forum] Phonon axsf does not move in XCrysden

Lorenzo Paulatto lorenzo.paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr
Mon Mar 27 13:07:33 CEST 2017

I actually found out the "problem" (which isn't one): the displacement
patterns are stored in the axsf as forces, which means that the atoms do not
move but you can have an arrow on each atom pointing toward the direction of
motion.

Click "Display -> Forces" (or tap the letter "f") to show them

hth

P.S. If you want to have the atoms moving, you
can modify PHonon/PH/write_eigenvectors.f90, around line 230 you change:

write (iout,'(a6,1x,6f10.5)') atm(ityp(na)),  &
            a0*BOHR_RADIUS_ANGS*tau(1,na), &
            a0*BOHR_RADIUS_ANGS*tau(2,na), &
            a0*BOHR_RADIUS_ANGS*tau(3,na), &
            (DBLE(z((na-1)*3+ipol,i))/znorm,ipol=1,3)

write (iout,'(a6,1x,6f10.5)') atm(ityp(na)),  &
            a0*BOHR_RADIUS_ANGS*tau(:,na) &
              + factor*DBLE(z((na-1)*3+1:3,i))/znorm

where "factor" is the amplitude of the mode you want, I think around 0.2 is
usually ok