[Pw_forum] total energy in DFT+U

Matteo Cococcioni matteo at umn.edu
Thu Jun 8 10:19:27 CEST 2017

Dear Farah,

first of all: total energies are always defined up to a constant. if
anything, you should be looking at energy differences (e.g. between
different crystal structures or magnetic orderings if that applies to your
case) rather than total energies per se. Also, your expectation is not
right: the DFT+U total energy (as usually written) is not variational with
respect to U. That is why (or one of the reasons why) typically you need
linear-response calculations to compute it (PRB 71, 035105) rather than a
trivial minimization of the energy.

Best regards,

Matteo