[Pw_forum] "Centering" Requirement of ESM

Robert Molt r.molt.chemical.physics at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 14:13:13 CEST 2017

I appreciate the help. If ESM does not require this symmetry, can you
explain what is meant by the manual's statement of:

:

"Requires cell with a_3 lattice vector along z,

normal to the xy plane, with the slab centered around z=0. Also requires symmetry checking to be
      disabled along z, either by settingnosym
<http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wp-content/uploads/Doc/INPUT_PW.html#nosym>  = .TRUE.
      or by very slight displacement (i.e., 5e-4 a.u.)
      of the slab along z."

I want to make sure I am in compliance with the manual's specifications,
and I clearly must not understand what that means if I misinterpreted it
to mean it requires symmetry along the z axis.

Separately, given that we have no symmetry in xy, is it logically
necessary to "cap" boundary atoms with hydrogens (or the like) to avoid
artifacts at the boundary?