[Pw_forum] Alternative to Xcrysden

Matic Poberznik matic.poberznik at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 13:36:37 CEST 2017

Dear Rajesh,
> Dear Matic,
> I am trying since last 20 days to compile xcrysden on windows 8.1 using
> cygwin but always fails. Can you please guide me which version should be
> compiled cygwin or semishared? And how to install using apt cygwin
> utility and xcrysden through it?

Without knowing the specific issue it is difficult to say and it's been
a while since i've done it, but here are some general pointers:

There is no need to compile from source, try using the precompiled
version : xcrysden-1.5.60-cygwin.tar.gz

apt-cyg is available here: https://github.com/transcode-open/apt-cyg

The dependencies are (from README.cygwin):

        * tcl-tk
          * fftw3
          * libGL1
          * libGLU1
          * xorg-server
          * bash
          * bc
          * coreutils
          * gawk
          * grep
          * gzip
          * ImageMagick
          * less
          * more

Make sure that tcl version is 8.5 not 8.6 I think there are some issues
with the new version. You can search for appropriate packages here:

https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi

and then install by typing:

apt-cyg install package-name

after installing all the requirements, make sure that you are running
xserver, i.e. type

startx

before trying to run xcrysden. also make sure that the path to the
xcryden execution script is added to your $PATH variable, so that you
can run it from anywhere. If you have any further issues let me know,

Best Regards,
Matic
--
Matic Poberznik
J. Stefan Institute, Jamova 39, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia