[Pw_forum] bands

Giovanni Cantele giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it
Tue Jul 11 12:10:10 CEST 2017

The better way is to follow the example I mentioned and, possibly, look for Quantum-ESPRESSO tutorials on the web.

The main steps for band structure plotting are:

i) pw.x with calculation=‘scf’, to obtain the ground state charge density and total energy
K_POINTS card contains a suitable grid for sampling the Brillouin zone, for example 4x4x4

ii) pw.x with either calculation=‘nscf’ or calculation=‘bands’, where the K_POINTS card contains
a list of k points along a selected path in the Brillouin zone
see here: http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wp-content/uploads/Doc/INPUT_PW.html <http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wp-content/uploads/Doc/INPUT_PW.html> to understand how to set the K_POINTS card

iii) bands.x
input file set according to the needed variables specified here:
http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wp-content/uploads/Doc/INPUT_BANDS.html <http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wp-content/uploads/Doc/INPUT_BANDS.html>

iv) plotband.x, run interactively, requiring the file specified with the variable “filband” of the previous run
After this run you obtain a data file, that can be plotted with any available program suitable for making plots

Giovanni

e-mail: giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it
Phone: +39 081 676910