[Pw_forum] Confusion about silicon phonon dispersion along K-X path

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Sat Jul 8 11:32:00 CEST 2017

There are two gamma to X paths - the "short" one [a,0,0], where
a goes from 0 to 1, and the "long" one [a,a,0], also with a going
from 0 to 1.

These are called the delta path and the sigma path:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brillouin_zone

For this lattice the end points are equivalent ([1,0,0] and [1,1,0])
but the sigma path goes though K [3/4,3/4,0]. Try to visualize in the
wikipedia page where [1,1,0] is, and why it is equivalent to [1,0,0].

Also, you can use SeeK-path
http://materialscloud.org/tools/seekpath/
to automatically created for any structure the k-point path that
follows the correct crystallographic conventions.

				nicola