[Pw_forum] CuBTC open metal organic frameworks CONVERGENCE

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Mon Jan 23 12:53:41 CET 2017

On 23/01/2017 12:37, Francesco Pelizza wrote:
> Hello dear community,
>

> Here in strathclyde some colleagues are using QE to relax and than study
> some MOF's.
>
> The problem starts from the beginning, no convergence in the first SCF
> cycle before a fixed cell relaxation.

One more, if unrelated - the conv_thr you use is extremely tight
(this is not related to your original problem, but it only means that
once you have found a robus recipe for convergence, it might be tough
to get to such a tight tolerance). This is because, as mentioned in

http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wp-content/uploads/Doc/INPUT_PW.html
---
Convergence threshold for selfconsistency:
    estimated energy error < conv_thr
(note that conv_thr is extensive, like the total energy).
---

it means that if say 1e-6 is a good conv_thr value for a system with a
few atoms,
if a system is 10 times larger conv_thr should typically be 10 times larger
as well (i.e. 1e-5)

			nicola