[Pw_forum] installation error: linking to Fortran libraries from C fails

Amel Alhassan alhassan.amel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 15:07:33 CET 2017

Dear All,

I am trying to install quantum espresso 4.2.1 in my Ubuntu 12.04 64 bits
devise.

when trying $./configure I get the following error

configure: error: in `/home/amel/espresso-4.2.1':
> configure: error: linking to Fortran libraries from C fails
> See `config.log' for more details.

I have tried changing  the include/c_defs.h and clib/memstaat.c
replacing F77 by gfortran.

Tried to install BLAS, LAPACK, FFT, MPI libraries but they are
not recognized by the system.

Also tried
$sudo apt-get install build-essential fftw3-dev gfortran

> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

$sudo apt-get install liblapack-dev fftw-dev

> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

I also tried

$gcc --version

> gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) 4.6.3

$gfortran --version

> GNU Fortran (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) 4.6.3

$/opt/mpich2GNU/bin/mpif90 -show

bash: $/opt/mpich2GNU/bin/mpif90: No such file or directory

Your help is kindly appreciated.

Thank you,

Kind regards,
Amel Alhassan