[Pw_forum] [GIPAW] Calculation of electric field gradients (EFGs) at arbitrary positions in lattice

Allen Majewski almno10 at ufl.edu
Tue Jan 3 14:48:30 CET 2017

Hello all,

The default behavior of gipaw.x (v5.3.0), with job='efg', is to
calculate the electric field gradient (EFG) tensors at only the atomic
positions specified in the input file of the corresponding scf calculation.

It is not immediately apparent to me how I might calculate the EFG at
some other positions, given some electronic structure.

The physical reality in solids of course is that the electric field
gradient exists everywhere in the structure - not just at the atomic
positions.

Suppose I wanted to use GIPAW to calculate the EFGs in some structure at
positions other than the atomic positions from which the calculation is
derived (or better yet, everywhere inside the structure using some
specified resolution). Is it possible by any "pedestrian" means, and if
not what might I look to modify within the GIPAW module to achieve this?

Apologies in advance if this is not the correct forum for this question.

Cheers

--
Allen Majewski
majewski at phys.ufl.edu