[Pw_forum] About output of PDOS calculations of CeO2

Paolo Giannozzi p.giannozzi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 14:44:51 CET 2017

The order of Y_{lm}(\theta,\phi) is described here:
http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wp-content/uploads/Doc/pp_user_guide/node8.html
For l=3 the sequence continues with: P_{3,0}, P_{3,1}cos(\phi),
P_{3,1}sin(\phi), P_{3,2}cos(2\phi), P_{3,2}sin(2\phi),
P_{3,3}cos(3\phi), P_{3,3}sin(3\phi)

Paolo

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Giuseppe Mattioli
<giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it> wrote:

> Dear Phanikumar
> If I understand well your question, the pdos file attached to your previous message should contain 9 columns: the energy scale of PDOS, the total 4f
> PDOS and the PDOS of the seven 4f orbitals (if you sum column 3-9 you obtain column 2). As opposed to the l=1 and l=2 cases, the symmetry order of
> orbitals in the l=3 case is not reported in the projwfc manual, but maybe there is someone more skilled than me that know the right order...
> HTH
> Giuseppe
>
> On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 05:18:40 PM Phanikumar Pentyala wrote:
>> Thnk you Lorenzo Paulatto for quick reply
>>
>> Yes I am doing DFT+U calculations. 4f will be in the valance bands of Ce
>> atom. Because of redox property of *Ce*, electron localization take place.
>> Here I am attaching my out put file of PDOS. Also I am using GGA (PBE)
>> functional, NORM-CONSERVING potentials for my calculation.
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 5:02 PM, Lorenzo Paulatto <
>>
>> lorenzo.paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr> wrote:
>> >
>> > output

>> > Dear Phanikumar,
>> > the pseudopotential you are using for Cerium may or may not have the f
>> > electron in valence.
>> >
>> > If the electron is in valence you will have a corresponding file after the
>> > projwfc calculation. But your system will probably be metallica and have
>> > all
>> > sort of problems, unless you use DFT+U and know what you are doing.
>> >
>> > If it is in the core, you won't be able to compute its pdos (which anyway,
>> > is
>> > a delta function at the atomic state energy). Also your valence bands will
>> > miss some feature and probably be not completely correct.
>> > On the other hand, you will be able to get the calculation working without
>> > too
>> > much fiddling.
>> >

>> > hth
>> >
>> > --
>> > Dr. Lorenzo Paulatto
>> > IdR @ IMPMC -- CNRS & Université Paris 6
>> > phone: +33 (0)1 442 79822 / skype: paulatz
>> > www:   http://www-int.impmc.upmc.fr/~paulatto/
>> > mail:  23-24/423 Boîte courrier 115, 4 place Jussieu 75252 Paris Cédex 05

> - Article premier - Les hommes naissent et demeurent
> libres et égaux en droits. Les distinctions sociales
> ne peuvent être fondées que sur l'utilité commune
> - Article 2 - Le but de toute association politique
> est la conservation des droits naturels et
> imprescriptibles de l'homme. Ces droits sont la liberté,
> la propriété, la sûreté et la résistance à l'oppression.
>
>    Giuseppe Mattioli
>    CNR - ISTITUTO DI STRUTTURA DELLA MATERIA
>    v. Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
>    I 00015 - Monterotondo Stazione (RM), Italy
>    Tel + 39 06 90672342 - Fax +39 06 90672316
>    E-mail: <giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it>
>    http://www.ism.cnr.it/en/staff/giuseppe-mattioli/
>    ResearcherID: F-6308-2012

Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222