[Pw_forum] Silicon DOS issue - Pw_forum Digest, Vol 115, Issue 18

nicvok nicvok at freenet.de
Sat Feb 18 14:28:06 CET 2017

Dear Xufeng,

from a first view your results seem reliable.
Indeed you are right that for an isolated, k-isotropic band one would expect a sqrt(E) behaviour of the DOS near the band bottom (for perfect sampling and integration :D). I think if you are not to harsh with yourself, you can see this in your calculations for the first 80meV.
Have in mind that depending on your calculation (LDA/GGA, strained etc..) a band folds in around 100-150meV above the CBM and changes the sqrt(E)-behaviour.
Second the „effective mass“ is strictly speaking k-dependent as 1/m \propto del^2 E_{k} / del k^2 \propto del/del k v_{k}, as you can see in fig 3

https://img2.picload.org/image/rowwrwir/1.png <https://img2.picload.org/image/rowwrwir/1.png>

where v_k is shown 100meV above the CBM. I used only a coarse mesh of ~4000k, but get similar results as you. Ignoring the oscillations, the dependence of DOS^2 is almost linear, too.

So again, it depending on what you want to calculate afterwards, your results look pretty okay.

bests,
Nicki

DTU Denmark, CAMd