[Pw_forum] PW.x homogeneous electric field berry phase calculation in trigonal cell

Louis Fry-Bouriaux ellf at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Feb 13 12:43:08 CET 2017

Hi Lorenzo,

    I have got it to work using both automatic and manual k-points, the mistake was to specify both 'berry=.true' and 'lelfield=.true.' at the same time and using 'nscf' calculation. The process I was going by was the description in the header of bp_c_phase.f90, when as you alluded to the electric field code is very similar but separate so the latter was the correct way to go with 'scf' calculation.

For 'berry=.true.', one needs to run a normal 'scf' with 'lelfield=.false.' to get the ground state first, then the polarisation can be calculated (P=0 which is a good sign for my system) as described in bp_c_phase.f90. I will now test other gdir than 3.

For 'lelfield=.true.', one can just specify a value of the field, both auto and manual work (again with gdir=3 so far). Afterwards one can apparently do a 'nscf' run with 'berry=.true.' (and 'lelfield=.false.') which reports the polarisation in the same format as the 0 field calculation above which is now non-zero as expected.

Example 10 was helpful too, if anyone reads this that should be a good point of reference.

Finally when you were talking about the bottleneck, I suppose you were talking about the efield code, my impression so far is this is not a problem using 4 processors, I will also test using 8 and compare the time taken. I have no idea how fast it 'should' be with proper parallisation, assuming it is possible to parallelise.

Kindest regards,

Louis