[Pw_forum] homo and lumo

Ari P Seitsonen Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi
Sun Feb 12 19:12:20 CET 2017

Dear K Zahra (next time with the affiliation, please :)

   What properties of the HOMO and LUMO do you want to study? Eigenvalues,
how they look like, their reactivity, ...? The eigenvalues you can get
with 'pw.x' (for LUMO you need to include some unoccupied/virtual
orbitals), the wave functions with 'pp.x'. If you go for the Wannier
functions, please notice that CO has a double bond, and there is some
ambiguity in the localisation of the Wannier functions ("banana bonds"),
so in that case I would think twice before using them - and actually they
are not for you, because via the localisation all the occupied orbitals
are mixed, so there is no longer "HOMO" when using them.

     Greetings from Tarragona,

        apsi

   Ari Paavo Seitsonen / Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi / http://www.iki.fi/~apsi/
     Ecole Normale Supérieure (ENS), Département de Chimie, Paris
     Mobile (F) : +33 789 37 24 25    (CH) : +41 79 71 90 935