[Pw_forum] k-mesh vs q-mesh

A. Jain aj520 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 20 18:25:49 CET 2017

Hi All,

I have a query regarding selecting the size of q-grids to use when
trying to obtain phonon dispersion. Obviously there is a difference
between k-mesh and q-mesh as they are used to calculate different
properties, as referenced in this thread from 2012:
http://qe-forge.org/pipermail/pw_forum/2012-January/097425.html.

However my question is, how do we know the quality of a q-mesh that we
have selected? Is that simply from the phonon dispersion and asking
matdyn to calculated frequencies at a phonon point not in the grid then
checking to see how well it fits, or is there another way where complete
phonon frequencies do not have to be calculated to determine the quality
of a q-mesh?

Also adding onto that, when selecting a q-mesh how does one go about it?
Is it ok to simply use the same grid size as that of the k-mesh (if not,
how come?) and can the size of the k-mesh used give any clues as to what
size q-mesh to use?

Best,

Apoorv Jain
PhD Student
Department of Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology
University of Cambridge