[Pw_forum] Computational Speed for pw.x

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatz at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 11:52:38 CET 2017

On 07/12/17 08:15, Amar Singh wrote:
> Dear Friends,
> ​I am trying to vc-relax a 40 atom supercell using a 40 processor/256GB
> RAM (Dell 7910) computer equipped with open-mpi. Following is the
> command I used to run the QE
> ​mpirun pw.x -np 40 < XXX.in > XXX.out
>
> ​​I noticed that the processing speed is slightly better than single
> processor, but nowhere close to expected 30 - 40 times. Also the dynamic
> RAM allocated per process is ~ 950 MB (total ~ 39 GB), the rest > 210 GB
> remains unused.
Dear Amar,
you do not give any information about the kind of calculation you are
running, size, number of k-points, hybrid functional, etc. You also
don't say if you did some proper scaling test (i.e. running with
1,2,4,8,16,32,40 cpus) to see if the code scales properly up to a
certain size.

Lacking any information, all I can say is: try to increase the number of
pools.

kind regards

--
Lorenzo Paulatto - Paris