[Pw_forum] About graphene nanoribbon input.

Pablo Álvarez Zapatero pabloalvazapa at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 27 14:16:03 CEST 2017

Thank you for your reply Dr. Lorenzo.

As you say, my system is isolated at every direction,
just a single finite-sized nanoribbon constructed along the x direction (with a definite y-width).

Then, should i use just a single k-point (gamma-point) for a 4x4x1 supercell, in a band calculation?

And again, in a Thermal conductivity calculation, which requires 3 and 4 order forces
should I use this same input?

Thank you again for your time and patience.

Pablo.

On Wednesday, 26 April 2017 14:26:54 CEST Pablo Álvarez Zapatero wrote:
> So the question is, is this input fine? Do will solve the energy problem
> (DFT ) accurately?

Dear Pablo,
if your system is isolated (i.e. not periodic) along a certain direction, than
you should use only one k-point in that direction. If the results are absurd
the problem is not the lack of k-points.

If you are building a supercell, then you can safely divide the numbr of k-
points in the unit cell by the number of unit cells in the supercell. This is
perfectly accurate.

However, I do not understand really what you are trying to do. Phonopy
computes 2-body force constants by finite differences, it does not "solve"
anything. It then uses these force constants to interpolate the phonon
dispersion. In order to have decent phonons in Graphene, you need to compute
2-body force constants up to at the very least four unit cells, i.e. using a
4x4x1 supercell.

Incidentally this can be done with the ph.x code at a fraction of the
computational cost.

cheers

--
Dr. Lorenzo Paulatto