[Pw_forum] How simulate atoms of same element with different oxidation number in compounds?

Marton vormar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 05:57:53 CEST 2017

Hi Máximo,

In my experience, especially when dealing with spinel LiMn2O4, you also
need to address the Jahn-Teller instability induced by Mn3+. If you
slightly distort the spinel unit cell then the two different Mn sites
(formally 3+ and 4+) will naturally emerge during relaxation (of course,
you need the right level of theory as Nicola said): Mn3+ sites will be in a
tetragonally distorted octahedral environment and Mn4+ sites will be in a
more octahedral environment. If you start from a high-symmetry unit cell,
you can also try to break the initial high symmetry of the charge/spin
density by manually distinguishing between the two Mn sites: just name one
type of Mn let's say Mn1 and the other one Mn2 and then use the same
pseudopotential for both. Then, you can initialize the magnetization to a
different value for the two different species.

HTH
Marton Voros

--
Materials Science Division