[Pw_forum] Running Environ with pw.x

Oliviero Andreussi oliviero.andreussi at usi.ch
Thu Sep 15 18:21:53 CEST 2016

Dear Rolly,

The simplest way to tell if the installation went wrong is what you did, check the output and look for Environ-specific messages. Since there are none, I would start by double checking that the steps necessary to install Environ went fine.
These are the steps as reported in the Environ/README file

    1) in QE main dir run the script addsonpatch.sh

          ./install/addsonpatch.sh Environ Environ/src Modules -patch

    2) in PW/src dir run

          ../../Environ/patches/environpatch.sh -patch

    3) in install dir run

          ./makedeps.sh -addson Modules Modules

          ./makedeps.sh PW/src

    4) in QE main dir re-compile pw and neb

          make pw

          make neb

    5) run pw.x with argument pw.x -environ

step 1 should generate some *Environ* files around the QE directories, in particular there should be a Environ_PATCH file in the main directory, a make.inc.preEnviron file, an Environ.inc file inside Modules and, most importantly, there should be some new files inside Modules which are actually links to the files in Environ/src/. See if you have these files in your QE directory and check that they are not empty.

step 2 should patch the plugin_*something*.f90 files inside PW/src/, if this step went fine you should see some extra lines of code within the ***Environ markers in those files. For example the PW/src/plugin_clean.f90 file after the patch should look like this

! Copyright (C) 2013 Quantum ESPRESSO group

! This file is distributed under the terms of the

! GNU General Public License. See the file `License'

! in the root directory of the present distribution,

! or http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.txt .

!

subroutine plugin_clean(lflag)

!

! This routine is used for cleaning calls

! from plugins

! DO NOT REMOVE THE TAGS ! ***ADDSON_NAME KIND_OF_PATCH***

!

USE plugin_flags

!

! ***Environ MODULES BEGIN***

!Environ patch

USE    environ_init, ONLY : environ_clean

!Environ patch

! ***Environ MODULES END***

!

implicit none

!

LOGICAL, INTENT(IN) :: lflag

!

! ***Environ VARIABLES BEGIN***

! ***Environ VARIABLES END***

!

! ***Environ CALLS BEGIN***

!Environ patch

if(use_environ) CALL environ_clean(lflag)

!Environ patch

! ***Environ CALLS END***

!

end subroutine plugin_clean

If step 3 didn't succeed, the main result would be that you cannot complete step 4, so I would skip this check.

To double check that the compilation (step 4) went fine, just see if make pw generated the objects of the new Environ files that were linked in Modules/, for example check if Modules/environ_main.o or Modules/environ_main.mod are there.

If all these steps are fine, then there could be a problem with the pw.x --environ command, but I would not look at that yet. let me know if you manage to solve the problem or if you have more infos.

Best regards,

Oliviero