[Pw_forum] Image charge interaction

Oliviero Andreussi oliviero.andreussi at usi.ch
Wed Sep 14 14:06:13 CEST 2016

Dear Ilya,

I think the discussion is quite full already, but maybe I can add a few details on the Environ module, which may be of some use in your application, similarly to what Giuseppe already said.

Environ allows to introduce a continuum dielectric medium in your simulation cell, this was shown to stabilise anions with respect to the calculation in vacuum (as a matter of fact small anions with plane waves are unbound and often crash with PW.x, while the same systems converge easily in dielectric media, even with small dielectric constants, with the extra electron happily sitting on the anion).

Moreover Environ allows to introduce the in-plane homogenous PBC correction for slabs (parabolic correction, I guess is something similar or the same thing of the dipolar correction that Thomas discussed, just with the extra capability of working also in the presence of the dielectric medium).

Eventually, Environ allows to introduce in the simulation cell one (or more) external charge distributions of arbitrary position and dimensionality (point-like, linear, planar) and of gaussian shape. Whether this is something useful in your case and the calculation would converge with it, is not immediately clear to me (especially if you want to place the extra charge inside the bulk of the system).

You can checkout the module and some more informations at www.quantum-environ.org <http://www.quantum-environ.org/>, unfortunately the documentation is still incomplete, but feel free to contact me if you need any help or additional information.

Best,

Oliviero
--
Senior Postdoctoral Researcher
École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) and