[Pw_forum] Image charge interaction

Thomas Brumme thomas.brumme at mpsd.mpg.de
Wed Sep 14 10:46:15 CEST 2016

Dear Ilya,

Guiseppe is right and this is also the only way I think you can get
the image charge. You have to use the neutral Cl (i.e. no core
hole), put an extra electron, and force it to stay on Cl. This you
can try with +U (or SIC? or constrained DFT?). Anyway, in this
case you can end up with a dipole in the system and you need to
switch on the dipole correction. And you might get problems with
the homogeneous background if your vacuum is too large and
the area of your slab too small - the electrons could spill into the
minimum which is in the vacuum due to the background.

I don't know of any way of introducing a image charge in the
metallic slab by hand...

Thomas

--
Dr. rer. nat. Thomas Brumme
Max Planck Institute for the Structure and Dynamics of Matter

Tel:  +49 (0)40 8998 6557

email: Thomas.Brumme at mpsd.mpg.de