[Pw_forum] Image charge interaction

Ilya Ryabinkin igryabinkin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 16:25:32 CEST 2016

Hi Thomas:
SIC is definitely one of the ways to address this problem, but we also
thinking about tconstrained DFT approach. Unfortunately, this is more
i) long-term investment, ii) this doesn't rule out the problem of
image charge completely if a slab is too thin.

BTW: it is written in a manual

> This approach has known problems for dissociation mechanism driven by excess electrons.

I wonder, what are these problems?

--
I.

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 10:01 AM, Thomas Brumme
<thomas.brumme at mpsd.mpg.de> wrote:
> Hi Ilya,
>
> I wonder if the SIC implementation in CP can help:
>
> http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wp-content/uploads/Doc/cp_user_guide/node11.html
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with CP...
>
> Regards
>
> Thomas
>

> On 09/13/2016 03:44 PM, Ilya Ryabinkin wrote:
>> 2NIcola:
>>
>>> If I understand this correctly, it seems a less satisfactory answer that
>> just having the uniform jellium background?
>>
>> No. In particular, I have Cl- species in my system, but there is no
>> way in common GGAs to keep an electron on chlorine -- due to self
>> interaction the electron is too weakly bound (if any) to Cl and DFT
>> gives a completely wrong, de-localized solution for an extra electron.
>> Neutralizing background will simply eat up the field of this
>> delocalized electron and I'll be simulating a system which resembles
>> more a *neutral* Cl atom on a slab rather than an anion.
>> One of the possible ways to work around -- is to devise a
>> pseudopotential for Cl with the configuration [He] 2s^2 2p^5 3s^2
>> 3p^6, which has a hole in 2p and an extra electron in 3p, then "bury"
>> the hole inside a pseudopotential... This solution, however, leads to
>> the apparent lack of charge-image interaction since the resulting
>> pseudoatom is neutral (in fact, it looks like Ar).
>>
>>> the state of charge of your particle
>>> will be determined by the physics - i.e. the xc functional will decide
>>> how much charge should sit on the particle
>> I wish it could be true... but not for the common DFA-s
>>
>>> Which capability? Adding an empirical extra term in the forces for
>>> the charge?
>> Yes. I'm wondering if some one already did this. I can do it myself,
>> but for the sake of not re-inventing the wheel...
>>
>> I.
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 6:26 AM, Lorenzo Paulatto
>> <lorenzo.paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> it is not too clear to me what you need, but is something like this: http://
>>> journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.89.245406 ?
>>>
>>> It is implemented in the upcoming version 6.0 of QE,
>>> The feature is still disabled in the downloadable beta versione, but it is
>>> enabled in the last daily snapshots at http://qe-forge.org/snapshots/ (no
>>> guarantee anything works).
>>>
>>> hth

>>> --
>>> Dr. Lorenzo Paulatto
>>> IdR @ IMPMC -- CNRS & Université Paris 6
>>> +33 (0)1 44 275 084 / skype: paulatz
>>> http://www.impmc.upmc.fr/~paulatto/
>>> 23-24/4é16 Boîte courrier 115,
>>> 4 place Jussieu 75252 Paris Cédex 05

> Dr. rer. nat. Thomas Brumme
> Max Planck Institute for the Structure and Dynamics of Matter
> Luruper Chaussee 149
> 22761 Hamburg
>
> Tel:  +49 (0)40 8998 6557
>
> email: Thomas.Brumme at mpsd.mpg.de