[Pw_forum] Negative Phonon Dispersion after geometry optimization twice.

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Wed Sep 7 13:19:23 CEST 2016

On 07/09/2016 13:12, Mohammed Ghadiyali wrote:
> Thanks for the Reply.

This structure has first and foremost an instability at the M point.

The cause might just be that you are describing an incorrect structure;
or that it is a 2d material with a charge density wave instability,
or with some other instability.

If CDW the physics is not well described by GGA. Again,
read etc...

Also, you need to read about soft modes and soft phonons - e.g. the PRL
by Nardelli/Baroni mid-90s.

The general procedure requires, I think, discussing with a supervisor
or spending a few weeks understanding what phonons are, how they are
calculated, etc... without touching the code.

				nicola