[Pw_forum] Cell Relaxation

Matthieu Fortin-Deschênes matthieu.fortin-deschenes at polymtl.ca
Sun Oct 30 15:06:35 CET 2016

Dear Ali,

First, if you want to relax the cell, you need to use calculation='vc-relax'
Then you need to specify the namelist &cell, and also your namelist
&ions is empty. As for what to put in those, you can look at the input
file description:
http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wp-content/uploads/Doc/INPUT_PW.html#idm5993056
There are also examples on how to do this.

For your second question, the functional used is taken from the
pseudopotential file and is specified in the file name of the
pseudopotential. In your case you have pbe (gga). You can just change
the pseudopotential to have another functional. I don't know anything
about phonon calculations so I can't tell you what is more accurate.

What you get in the output file is cell parameters in alat units. That
is in units of celldm(1). I don't think you can change it, but it only
takes a few seconds to convert by yourself.

Also you should use a Gamma centered k-points mesh for hexagonal
lattices and (6x6x1) seems too low to me. Did you check convergence
wrt number of kpoints?

Matthieu Fortin-Deschênes
Polytechnique Montréal