[Pw_forum] Phonon frequency: nat_todo option

stefano de gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Sat Oct 22 05:45:53 CEST 2016

Dear Vikan,
I dont have direct experience on this problem. here a few things i would
look into:

from your NEB calculation around the TS you should be able to see what
the unstable mode is expected to look like and how many atoms are involved.
If you compute interatomic force constants (IFC) only around a subset of
the atoms there is the problem of how you impose the acoustic sum rule.
One way would be to complete your DynMat using the IFC of the bulk
material (that you could compute separately), and impose ASR on this model.
To stay on the safe side you could set the mass of the atoms that you
did not compute to a very large number so they do not move.

stefano