[Pw_forum] QE 6.0 slower than 5.4 ??

Francesco Pelizza francesco.pelizza at strath.ac.uk
Wed Nov 23 12:09:26 CET 2016

Hi Dear community,

I have a question...Since the qe 6.0 release i started to use it, and I
noticed a slow down for systems up to 48 atoms / 100 electrons running
on few cores, and a speed up running upon more cores.

I other words, taking as example an insulator polymer, set in its
lattice with 96 electrons:

using qe 5.4 on 8 threads takes 25-35% less time than qe 6.0

that's generally true from scf, to vc-relax to bands and phonon or
whatever calculations

if I scale on servers or HPC I do not see slow down, and perhaps the qe
6.0 is in the average 10-15% faster.

Was it expected to be so?

Something changed in the way the system is fragmented across threads?

BW

Francesco Pelizza

Strathclyde University