[Pw_forum] Phosphorene Bandstructure using spin-orbit Coupling

Giovanni Cantele giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it
Fri Nov 4 16:33:35 CET 2016

nbnd=20 corresponds exactly to twice the number of occupied bands in the NSoC case,
because you have 4 P atoms times 5 electrons. However, the number of bands is doubled
in the SoC case (two-component spinor even in absence of magnetisation), so nbnd=20 corresponds to exactly the number of occupied bands. You should set
nbnd=40 to compute the same bands as in the NSoC case.

Giovanni

> On 4 Nov 2016, at 16:21, Mr. Sushant Kumar Behera <sushant at tezu.ernet.in> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
>
> I want to study the effect of spin-orbit coupling in band structure of
> phosphorene. I have calculated band structure for Phosphorene using PBE
> functional with PAW PS (P.pbe-n-kjpaw_psl.0.1.UPF) in case of non-spin
> orbit coupling (NSoC)and PBE functional and relativistic PAW PS
> (P.rel-pbe-n-kjpaw_psl.0.1.UPF) for spin-orbit coupling (SoC) case. I have
> taken 9*9*1 M-K k-point mesh for SCF calculation and put Gamma-K-M-Gamma
> k-point path for band structure calculation. I did not get any error
> during calculation. But, My band structure pattern are completely
> different in both the cases. In case of SoC, there is no band in
> conduction band, all are in valency band. I have attached my input files
> for both the cases with the .ps file of bands. I have also tested with
> both LDA and PBE cases in SoC to find the difference. I am using a cluster
> system with 6 nodes and 24 cores per node. I am wondering about the reason
> why I got this type of bands in both the cases.
>
> I will appreciate all valuable comments.
>
> Thanking in advance
>
> --
> With Regards
>
> Sushant Kumar Behera
> INSPIRE Fellow
> Advanced Functional Material Laboratory
> Deaprtment of Physics
> Tezpur University
> Tezpur, India 784028
> email: sushant at tezu.ernet.in
> Phone: +91-3712-275578 (Lab)
> Cell:  +91-8473848729  (Mob)
> http://www.tezu.ernet.in/dphy/afml/index.php
>

> ___________________
> D I S C L A I M E R
> This e-mail may contain privileged information and is intended solely for
> the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not
> immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail in error and
> destroy it from your system. Though considerable effort has been made to
> deliver error free e-mail messages but it can not be guaranteed to be secure
> or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed,
> delayed, or may contain viruses. The recipient must verify the integrity of
> this e-mail message.<nsoc.scf.in><nsoc.band.in><soc.band.in><soc.bands.ps><nsoc.bands.ps>_______________________________________________

Giovanni Cantele, PhD
CNR-SPIN
c/o Dipartimento di Fisica
Universita' di Napoli "Federico II"
Complesso Universitario M. S. Angelo - Ed. 6
Via Cintia, I-80126, Napoli, Italy
e-mail: giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it
Phone: +39 081 676910
Skype contact: giocan74