[Pw_forum] Clarification on idir and awin in average.f90

Giovanni Cantele giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it
Thu May 19 09:40:10 CEST 2016

Al has a cubic lattice, so 100, 010 and 001 surfaces are all equivalent (so it is not a typo). On the other hand, idir DOES NOT refer to the surface orientation but to how it is oriented within the supercell.
Whatever are the surface orientation and the material you a re planning to study, you can define the surface supercell so that the vectors defining the surface unit cell are a1 and a2, whereas a3 represents the
direction orthogonal to the surface. In this case you can use idir=3 for studying 100,110 or 111 orientations. So, do not mistake the surface orientation you want to study with the supercell lattice vector that identifies,
in the pw.x calculation, that direction.

Giovanni