[Pw_forum] London Dispersion force: DFT-D2

Elliot S. MENKAH elliotsmenkah at yahoo.com
Tue May 3 20:26:02 CEST 2016

Thank you  all for the invaluable help.

I would implement what has been shared and repost should I need further
help.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Elliot

On 05/03/2016 09:24 AM, Marzari Nicola wrote:

>> . Can anyone enlighten me on the status of vdw functionals for spin
>> polarised calculations?
>>

> This prl http://arxiv.org/abs/1509.03759 - nicola
>

>> Cheers,
>> ————————————————————————
>> Martin P. Andersson
>> Associate Professor
>> Nano-Science Center, Department of Chemistry
>> University of Copenhagen, Denmark
>>
>> Tel: +45 3532 0280
>> Mobile: +46 733 893091
>> E-mail: ma at nano.ku.dk <mailto:ma at nano.ku.dk>
>> ————————————————————————
>>

>>> On 03 May 2016, at 10:26, Giuseppe Mattioli
>>> <giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it <mailto:giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it>>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>> Dear Elliot
>>> I do not know if I understand well your questions, but I try to answer:

>>> Use vdw_corr='grimme-d2'
>>> You will find in the output the dispersion force contribution to the
>>> total energy:
>>>
>>> !    total energy              =   -2369.89004091 Ry
>>>     Harris-Foulkes estimate   =   -2369.89004090 Ry
>>>     estimated scf accuracy    <       0.00000001 Ry
>>>
>>>     The total energy is the sum of the following terms:
>>>
>>>     one-electron contribution =  -22567.16723495 Ry
>>>     hartree contribution      =   11423.49753189 Ry
>>>     xc contribution           =    -757.02966668 Ry
>>>     ewald contribution        =    9530.66102736 Ry
>>>     Dispersion Correction     =      -0.98373910 Ry
>>>     Hubbard energy            =       1.13399751 Ry
>>>     smearing contrib. (-TS)   =      -0.00195694 Ry

>>> Remember that DFT-D2 badly overestimate the interaction of molecules
>>> with metal surfaces, see Grimme, S.; Antony, J.; Ehrlich, S.; Krieg,
>>> H. A
>>> consistent and accurate ab initio parametrization of density
>>> functional dispersion correction (DFT-D) for the 94 elements H-Pu.
>>> J. Chem. Phys. 2010,
>>> 132, 154104. In cases such as N2H2 on Ni I would rather use vdwdf or
>>> vdwdf-c09 (see usage and related papers in QE documentation).

>>> This is a well tested but old and complex machine to correct the
>>> interaction of a dipole with its periodic replicas along z. I do not
>>> know if it is
>>> possible to estimate its impact on dispersion forces in a different
>>> way than by using/not using the dipole correction and check the
>>> difference between
>>> the above "Dispersion Correction" contribution to the total energy.
>>> However, I've satisfactorily used for a system similar to yours
>>> (thiol SAM on Au
>>> surface) this new setup (again, read the documentation and related
>>> papers), which decouple in a simpler way the dipole along z.
>>>
>>> &system
>>>    input_dft='vdw-df-c09'
>>>    assume_isolated = 'esm',
>>>    esm_bc='bc1',
>>> /
>>>
>>> HTH
>>> Giuseppe

>>> ********************************************************
>>> - Article premier - Les hommes naissent et demeurent
>>> libres et égaux en droits. Les distinctions sociales
>>> ne peuvent être fondées que sur l'utilité commune
>>> - Article 2 - Le but de toute association politique
>>> est la conservation des droits naturels et
>>> imprescriptibles de l'homme. Ces droits sont la liberté,
>>> la propriété, la sûreté et la résistance à l'oppression.
>>> ********************************************************
>>>
>>>   Giuseppe Mattioli
>>>   CNR - ISTITUTO DI STRUTTURA DELLA MATERIA
>>>   v. Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
>>>   I 00015 - Monterotondo Stazione (RM), Italy
>>>   Tel + 39 06 90672836 - Fax +39 06 90672316
>>>   E-mail: <giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
>>> <mailto:giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it>>
>>>   http://www.ism.cnr.it/en/staff/giuseppe-mattioli/
>>>   ResearcherID: F-6308-2012

Elliot Sarpong Menkah
Graduate Student - Computational Chemistry / Computational Material Science.
Theoretical and Computational Chemistry
Dept. of Chemistry
Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST),
Private Mail Bag,
Kumasi,
Ghana.
Mobile:+233-243-055-717,+233-202-929-058

Alt. Email: 	esmenkah at knust.edu.gh
		elliotsmenkah at gmail.com
                elliotsmenkah at hotmail.com

webpage: http://chemistry.knust.edu.gh/MMC/group-members/ESMenkah