[Pw_forum] Possible bug in TB09 MetaGGA

Pedro Miguel Castro Borlido pedro.borlido at uni-jena.de
Thu Mar 10 15:52:58 CET 2016

Greetings,

Sorry for the long delay in responding...

I tried setting the values manually for a small set of c's (see data.dat in
attachment) with

call xc_f90_mgga_x_tb09_set_par(xc_func, cc)

and ran the silicon structure with the tpss pseudopotential in
the QE site.

Indeed, for c=1 I got the same value as the default calculation...
(And a rather large gap although that had already been mentioned in
another thread http://qe-forge.org/pipermail/pw_forum/2015-April/106571.html)

I also tried computing the c parameter as per eq. 3 (see attach. cc_tb09.f90).
For a (default) calculation with the same pseudo for Si I get cc = 1.0135.
 From the cc runs however, the 'optimal' value should be around 0.85 ~ 1.00,
so there is a certain discrepancy with the original article...

Just out of curiosity, is there a specific reason for the usage of TPSS in
correlation instead of the original PW92? The former seems to be rather
incompatible with non-tpss pseudos...