[Pw_forum] Segmentation Fault using pw.exe with 'relax' (Windows 10, 64 bit)

Matthew Brunetti matthew.brunetti28 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 21:36:37 CEST 2016

Hello,

I am trying to use pw.exe to perform a relaxation calculation on a single
monomer chain containing 40 atoms of C,H,O, and N. I manually placed the
atoms in roughly the correct locations according to the arrangement of the
molecule as approximately a chain of benzene rings. I want to use 'relax'
to find the true equilibrium positions of the atoms in the chain.

However, I get a segmentation fault error when I try to run the command 'pw
-in kapton.in'
However, the backtrace for this error is strange in that it all eighteen
traces list the same memory location: 'ffffffffffffffff'. Furthermore, none
of the traces actually list where the error took place. I had previously
gotten seg-faults when my fftw3 libraries were not compiled properly, and
the traces would properly reflect that error. Here there is no information
given regarding the nature or source of the overflow.

My 64 bit Windows 10 desktop has 32 GB of RAM and a Core i7 6700K among
other new, relatively high end components.

My coworker was able to run my exact code on his Linux machine (I believe
he uses Debian) which has only 16 GB of RAM, so I can't imagine that I am
actually running into a hardware limitation on my desktop. At the same
time, the auto-configured nature of the .exe installer on Windows coupled
with the lack of backtrace information is leaving me a complete loss for
possible solutions. I can post my input file if it might help, but this
message is already running a bit long. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Thank you!

-Matt