[Pw_forum] PBE0 Hybrid functional SCF doesn't complete

stefano de gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Thu Jun 23 10:33:17 CEST 2016

the Hybrid calculations are VERY expensive.
in solids the expensive Fock step has an inner summation on k-point that
makes it QUADRATIC in the grid dimension used (20*20*20)^2, in your case.
No wonder it does not complete

Things I would do:
- reduce the cutoff to the minimum.
- consider using a NC pseudopential.
- please no gaussian smearing. use 'mv' or 'mp'.
- use larger smearing => smaller k-points set
- read, understand and test the nqx1,nqx2,nqx3 input options
- look for a big machine and use band parallelization to distribute work
load.

HTH

stefano