[Pw_forum] Dipole correction in superlattice with no vacuum

stefano de gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Mon Jun 6 12:51:18 CEST 2016

if a dipole layer develops at the interface (likely to occur when you
put together atoms with different charges and electro-negativity) a step
in the electrostatic potential would result... which directly shifts
your band-offset.
think of how you can modify the workfunction of a surface (which is the
band offset between the material and vacuum) by adsorbing polar
molecules or anything that create a dipole layer.

interface interminxg dependence in heterovalent junctions have been
studied extensively (among many others) by Maria Peressi. You may wont
to read some of her works starting with

1.
Band engineering at interfaces: theory and numerical experiments
By: Peressi, M; Binggeli, N; Baldereschi, A
JOURNAL OF PHYSICS D-APPLIED PHYSICS  Volume: 31   Issue: 11 Pages:
1273-1299   Published: JUN 7 1998

2.
LOCAL INTERFACE COMPOSITION AND BAND DISCONTINUITIES IN HETEROVALENT
HETEROSTRUCTURES
By: NICOLINI, R; VANZETTI, L; MULA, G; et al.
PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS  Volume: 72   Issue: 2   Pages: 294-297
Published: JAN 10 1994

3.
TUNING BAND OFFSETS AT SEMICONDUCTOR INTERFACES BY INTRALAYER DEPOSITION
By: PERESSI, M; BARONI, S; RESTA, R; et al.
PHYSICAL REVIEW B  Volume: 43   Issue: 9   Pages: 7347-7351 Published:
MAR 15 1991

HTH

stefano