[Pw_forum] Question regarding CPU consuming on QE jobs

veronica sanchez veronicasanchez210 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 21:21:18 CEST 2016

Paolo, thanks for the answer and sorry if it was not the place to ask it. I
did it because my system manager strongly suggested me to ask this in the
forum...

Thanks anyway for the suggestions

Verónica

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 2:43 PM, Paolo Giannozzi <p.giannozzi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Veronica, please: it's your system manager that must explain to you
> what is not right and why and how to have i right. Nobody can tell you
> anything sensible without knowing what is the problem, which machine
> you have, how you compiled QE, which version of QE you run, and how
> you run it.
>
> Paolo
>
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 7:22 PM, veronica sanchez
> <veronicasanchez210 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I received an alert for the system manager of the cluster here due to the
> > excess of the system CPU consumption of the jobs I am running using the
> QE
> > code. As far as I understand it is running not in the best way and
> > calculation may be slower than it should be.
> >
> > I will set the OMP_NUM_THREADS to 1 and look at the system CPU behavior.
> > will let know the result.
> >
> > Thank you very much for the answers,
> >
> > Verónica
> >

> > On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 12:46 PM, Suchit <such.engr at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Veronica,
> >> Setting the number of threads to 1 will help and I recently found myself
> >> that on my system the calculations were running much slower at the
> default
> >> value for OMP_NUM_THREADS. In addition, you should also make sure that
> >> you're specifying good parallelization parameters. The web-page below
> >> provides some tips and also some symptoms of less than ideal
> parellization.
> >> Hope this helps!
> >>

> http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wp-content/uploads/Doc/pw_user_guide/node18.html
> >>
> >> Best Regards,
> >> --Suchit

> > --
> > Dra. Verónica M. Sánchez
> > CSC-CONICET
> > Godoy Cruz 2390
> > 1425 Ciudad de Buenos Aires
> > Argentina
> > Tel 54 11 4899 5500 ext 5616

> Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222

Dra. Verónica M. Sánchez
CSC-CONICET
Godoy Cruz 2390
1425 Ciudad de Buenos Aires