[Pw_forum] Question regarding CPU consuming on QE jobs

Paolo Giannozzi p.giannozzi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 19:43:00 CEST 2016

Veronica, please: it's your system manager that must explain to you
what is not right and why and how to have i right. Nobody can tell you
anything sensible without knowing what is the problem, which machine
you have, how you compiled QE, which version of QE you run, and how
you run it.

Paolo

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 7:22 PM, veronica sanchez
<veronicasanchez210 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I received an alert for the system manager of the cluster here due to the
> excess of the system CPU consumption of the jobs I am running using the QE
> code. As far as I understand it is running not in the best way and
> calculation may be slower than it should be.
>
> I will set the OMP_NUM_THREADS to 1 and look at the system CPU behavior. I
> will let know the result.
>
> Thank you very much for the answers,
>
> Verónica
>

> On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 12:46 PM, Suchit <such.engr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Veronica,
>> Setting the number of threads to 1 will help and I recently found myself
>> that on my system the calculations were running much slower at the default
>> value for OMP_NUM_THREADS. In addition, you should also make sure that
>> you're specifying good parallelization parameters. The web-page below
>> provides some tips and also some symptoms of less than ideal parellization.
>> Hope this helps!
>>

>> http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wp-content/uploads/Doc/pw_user_guide/node18.html
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> --Suchit

> Dra. Verónica M. Sánchez
> CSC-CONICET
> Godoy Cruz 2390
> 1425 Ciudad de Buenos Aires
> Argentina
> Tel 54 11 4899 5500 ext 5616

Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222