[Pw_forum] phonons using finite difference approach with symmetry considerations using QE

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Fri Jul 8 12:59:48 CEST 2016

Dear Kumar,

the only reason to use finite differences would be to work with
an exchange correlation functional for which linear-response is
not implemented - otherwise you should use the phonon code.

I quickly looked at the PHON package mentioned below, but I can't
understand if it has the non-analytic terms for insulators - does
anyone know?

PHONOPY (http://atztogo.github.io/phonopy/( does, and it might be the
most active/supported code interfaced to pwscf.

				nicola