[Pw_forum] System memory issue using --with-pinned-mem on QE-GPU

Rolly Ng rollyng at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 17:35:36 CET 2016

Dear Filippo and GPU developers,

I find the new option  "--with-pinned-mem" for the v5.3 QE-GPU but I am
not sure what effect it has on the system memory.

My server has total of 144GB RAM and 8x C2050. These cards have 3GB
memory each, so there are 24 GB of video RAM. If I compile px-gpu.x with
the option "--with-pinned-mem", does it lock 24GB of system memory out
of 144 GB? and I will have 120 GB system RAM left?

This may not be an issue for the old C2050, but if I go for 8x k80 and
these cards have 24GB memory each, then it may be a problem. The locked
memory will become 192 GB which is more than the main system memory of
144 GB, so it does not work?

Please advise and thank you!

Regards,
Rolly