[Pw_forum] Phonon_Calculations_Error

Ari P Seitsonen Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi
Fri Jan 15 19:38:51 CET 2016

Dear Amir,

   To me it looks like if the calculation has finished normally - the
output ends with "JOB DONE.", a message

---<cut>---------------------------------------------------------
Maximum CPU time exceeded

max_seconds     =  350000.00
elapsed seconds =  361758.49
---</cut>--------------------------------------------------------

means that the calculation did not manage to finish in time for your
calculation - no wonder, only four cores, 72 atoms and thus many phonon
modes to be calculated, a relatively high cut-off energy etc. Why the
output looks weird, with the "error message" at the beginning, is possibly
because you redirect the stdout and stderr into the same file? The "STOP
1" is the normal exit code of QE/pw.x when running out of CPU time.

   In principle the calculation could be restarted, but indeed, like you
say, the calculation is probably slowed down because of insufficient
memory and thus swapping. Are you able to switch to a larger computer?

     Greetings,

        apsi

   Ari Paavo Seitsonen / Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi / http://www.iki.fi/~apsi/
   Ecole Normale Supérieure (ENS), Département de Chimie, Paris
   Mobile (F) : +33 789 37 24 25    (CH) : +41 79 71 90 935