[Pw_forum] Binding Energy for H2O with PAW

Ari P Seitsonen Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi
Fri Feb 26 15:08:49 CET 2016

Dear Felix,

   First of all, the "hydrogen becomes metallic" probably means that you
should apply spin polarisation as you have only one atom. Please remember
that the absolute energies do not make sense, the total energy of the atom
should be calculated by removing the energy difference between a pseudo
atom and the all-electron atom, but this is prone to numerical
(convergence) errors.

   Second, dissociating a water molecule by pulling one hydrogen apart
would in principle lead to a double radical; well, in practise it would
lead to two non-neutral constituents (in one calculation the electrons can
move freely, in "metallic language" the Fermi level is global and same
everywhere, even if the atoms would be 1 km apart). And further, most of
the approximations, in particular GGAs, have a problem when pulling apart
atoms, they give wrong asymptotics (famous examples are dissociating H_2).

   As I do not know what your target goal is, I would once more look at the
literature on DFT and these asymptotic failures, whether the DFT (and the
XC functional that you plan to use) is able to capture the correct
asymptotics.

     Greetings from the Austrian Alps,

        apsi

PS Indeed, the quantity you would be calculating is rather dissociating
energy, or?

   Ari Paavo Seitsonen / Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi / http://www.iki.fi/~apsi/
     Ecole Normale Supérieure (ENS), Département de Chimie, Paris
     Mobile (F) : +33 789 37 24 25    (CH) : +41 79 71 90 935