[Pw_forum] CHOOSING SMEARING PARAMETER

Omamuyovwi Akemu omamuyovwiakemu at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 10 13:51:12 CET 2016

Dear QE Users,
 I read the article on how to choose smearing parameter involving a superimposed plot of various K-Points of Force against Smearing- THEOS Main/Electronic Temperature
|   |
|   |  |   |   |   |   |   |
| THEOS Main/Electronic TemperatureI often get asked questions about electronic temperature and smearing, and so I decided to put here a few notes - detailed background reading can also be found in m... |
|  |
| View on theossrv1.epfl.ch | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

Please how can one deduce the error on the forces that  can be tolerated in a material since choosing a smearing involves error in the forces within tolerance?
I have also been following papers on surface energy and realise that most papers used broadening of 0.02 for full-potential and pseudopotential approach. Pls can one use the same approach for calculations involves surface or it applies only to ensemble DFT only?

I kindly request that give me the connection (or an article as above) in choosing nr3 with respect to K-point and ecutrho. I have read comments from the pw-forum but still having issues with the subject.Thank you for the anticipated comments.

Jolayemi Omamuyovwi Rita( Mrs)Research Student,
University of Benin,
Nigeria.