[Pw_forum] NMR_shifts_selected_atoms

Ari P Seitsonen Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi
Wed Feb 10 11:53:16 CET 2016

Dear Kai,

   A quick reply from my side: The GIPAW method is slow in general, but the
execution time does not depend strongly on the number of atoms. Therefore
once the big calculation is done, to get the results for each atom is
almost a byproduct; thus it would not help much to calculate the results
only on fewer atoms.

   This is different in the converse NMR method, where the calculation on
each atom would take long, but to calculate few atoms is much faster: This
is so because there a small magnetic dipole is set on each target atom at
a time and then a self-consistent calculation is performed; therefore here
the calculation time practically scales with the number of atoms, each
calculation being faster than the GIPAW calculation. The implementation of
the converse NMR in QE has not yet been finished yet, so it is not in the
public release at the moment.

     Greetings,

        apsi

   Ari Paavo Seitsonen / Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi / http://www.iki.fi/~apsi/
     Ecole Normale Supérieure (ENS), Département de Chimie, Paris
     Mobile (F) : +33 789 37 24 25    (CH) : +41 79 71 90 935