[Pw_forum] ESM error in qe 6.0

Paolo Giannozzi p.giannozzi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 19:11:16 CET 2016

Hi Ale, I think all versions after luly 2015 have the same problem. It
is related to OpenMP: the "normal" one-dimensional FFT routine,
cft_1z, has an internal OpenMP loop, while in ESM there are OpenMP
loops calling one-dimensional FFT's. The workaround is to have a copy
of cft_1z (esm_cft_1z) that doesn't do OpenMP and a thread-safe FFT
initialization (esm_cft_1z_init). These routines have fallen out of
sync with the rest of the code and do not work for recent FFT
extensions (notably, DFTI routines from Intel MKL, likely the one that
Cineca uses).

I suspect that in the absence of OpenMP parallelization, the code
works if you replace esm_cft_1z with cft_1z and comment out
esm_cft_1z_init, but I haven't tried it. Better solutions are
relatively simple but require a preliminary and far-reaching decision
on how to perform mixed MPI+OpenMP parallelization for FFT's.

Paolo