[Pw_forum] Ti4+ Pseudopotential

Thomas Brumme thomas.brumme at mpsd.mpg.de
Tue Aug 30 11:49:46 CEST 2016

Dear Manu,

first of all, please note that I'm not an expert in pseudopotential
creation! Anyway...

If I use the input of the pslibrary 1.0 as a starting point, I have no
problems in creating a pseudo...
The logarithmic derivatives look fine, there are no ghosts and also the
energies are ok... Yet, just ok...
The transferability will be not so good as the difference between the
all-electron calculation and the
ps one for the normal, uncharged groundstate of Ti shows a difference of
about 1 mRy for the states
of the n=3 shell and also the 3s states for the +2 charged state is off
by 1 mRy... Yet, these are
semi-core states and maybe you're not interested in them...

I think that it is always better to include all states of one shell
(except maybe f-states) even if there are
not occupied... In fact, even if the 3d shell is empty for the +4
oxidation state, it is lower in energy than
the 4s and 4p... Not including it in the pseudo makes not sense...

Maybe you should try using not the +4 state to create the pseudo...
Maybe the +2 or the normal state
gives in the end better energies AND transferability... Or try changing
the radii... Or wait until someone
with more knowledge in the creation of pseudos answers :)

Anyway, here the input I used:

  &input
    title='Ti d',
    zed=22.0,